headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Monday, December 10, 2007

Praying for the Victims of the Colorado Shootings

I live 8 minutes from New Life Church, the site of one of the shootings yesterday in Colorado.
Sometimes life is ... unexplainable. Painfully unexplainable.

I don't know why I tend to watch the news over and over. Maybe it's the journalist/reporter in me. I know what it's like to be on deadline and to need a story--the details, the quotes. And I remember the dance between the media and the police: How much information will they give out? (Answer: not much.)

I think sometimes I'm waiting for a bit of good news to come out of something so, so horribly tragic ... and I keep praying for the victims who've been injured, and for the security guard who saved so many lives by confronting the shooter at New Life Church.

And, yes, I know this post has nothing to do with writing--and yet, in an odd way it does. We write from our hearts, don't we? And all that is in my heart at this moment feels like unshed tears for all those who were killed yesterday--and their family and friends.

I pray for God to comfort them.

Somehow.

5 comments:

Tea with Tiffany said...

I'm with you, Beth. I had to write from my heart today too on my personal blog.

Hard stuff with no good answers. Yet I'm holding on to hope.

elizabeth said...

So heartbreaking. :-(

Beth K. Vogt said...

My heart continues to be heavy.
The two victims who died yesterday were sisters--and their father is in the hospital in fair condition.
I cannot imagine the heartache for that family.

First Baptist Church of Mary Esther said...

"May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you." Psalm 33:22

I don't know how, I don't know when, but God will use this in to change people's hearts and lives for the better. My heart broke as I watched the young man's uncle (a pastor himself) beg forgiveness from the victims. How desperately sad for ALL of them. I pray God will give abundant Grace to them all to get through this.

I don't know about anyone else, but lately, I've felt almost homesick for heaven. The darkness around has seemed more lately, and I know as time gets short, it will grow more and more. I just keep thinking - keep an eternal perspective - this is only temporary. I've had to limit my news exposure because it has become so negative or so trivial - almost inane.

May God's unfailing love surround all of those affected by the shootings. Thanks for the opportunity to post!

Beth K. Vogt said...

What a beautiful Scripture ... thank you for posting it. I am going to write it on an index card and put it up where I can read it daily.