headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The Word for 2008

I don't do New Year's resolutions.

After too many years of making and breaking an annual list of wills and won'ts, I found something I like a lot better.

I focus on a word for the year.

In 2006 my word was gratitude. That's a good word for a gal with a glass-half empty perspective. That year, I posted a sign with the words "In Everything, Give Thanks" in a central location in my house. I also kept an (almost) daily list of what I was thankful for.

In 2007, my word was simplify. Life became ridiculously simple when an extended illness caused me to prioritize my life. Things that were oh-so-necessary became not so. Life was about recovery. And being thankful again for family and friends.

So, what's my word for 2008?

Content--as in, satisfied, enjoying a sense of well-being.

I picked content as my 2008 word after seeing a hand-lettered sign that said, "Be happy with what you have."

That thought set me back on my heels--challenging me to stop always wanting more things, more stuff. Sometimes I'm so busy window-shopping, I forget to enjoy what I have.

So, writing comrades, anybody else want to pick a word for 2008?



6 comments:

Praise and Coffee said...

Content is a wonderful word. I would probably pick "thankful" for me. If I remember to remain thankful, my heart does so much better!

Blessings and Happy New Year,
Sue Cramer

Patricia said...

I LOVE this, Beth. Though I did not choose a single word for 2007, I did choose a phrase - "Celebrating Abundance". I wrote about it last January here. Actually, to be able to celebrate my abundance, I had to experience contentment, and that has been a hard work the Father continues to work in me. Just when I think I've conquered it, I'm faced with another battle.

For 2008, I've also been pondering a phrase and have yet to articulate it to my satisfaction, but the essence of it is passion and focus. I'm too easily distracted from the one writing assignment that I know with great confidence that the Lord has given me. I need a passion for that focus that insulates me from those distractions. Any ideas?

Beth K. Vogt said...

I found when I focused on the word "gratitude" during 2006, that it changed my attitude profoundly. It is easier to be thankful now--it's a habit.

And, Patricia, your question about how to sum up passion and focus sent me to a favorite Web site (www.visualthesaurus.com) where I play with words and their meanings.
I plugged in focus ... and then I started to think about cameras and focusing ... and the fact that you are a photographer and a passionate one at that. Is there a photography term that would encompass the idea you're trying to distill? Focal Point, maybe?

Just thinking out loud!

Loree Arrington said...

joy - in all things - joy

hopefully that doesn't include 'count it all joy' :)

elizabeth said...

For 2007, my goal was to be more of a witness (spiritually).

My "goal" for 2008 is to practice simplicity more often, in more ways. So, I guess "simplify" will be my word for this year, carrying the torch from your 2007 goal. :-)

Susan Skitt said...

We do that at our writers group, pick a word and a Bible verse to summarize how we see God leading us in the New Year. I love it, makes things simple.

Last year, my word was "Prepare". "The preparations of the heart belong to man,But the answer of the tongue is from the LORD." Proverbs 16:1

I'm still thinking and praying on the goal for this year. I have writers group on the 17th, so I'll let you know before then :O

Since writing is an expression of my life in Christ, I suppose it makes sense!

Blessings and Joy,
Susan Kelly Skitt