headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Looking for the Next Rest Stop

"Rest when you're weary. Refresh and renew yourself, your body, your mind, your spirit. Then get back to work." ~ Ralph Marston


I find myself looking for a rest stop along the writing road. I have things I need to do--articles to write, things to edit. And yet, I keep looking to the side of the road, wondering when I can pull off and rest.
I need a break.
Rather than doing that--deliberately taking a break--I've written and edited half-heartedly. My writing has been haphazard at best and my editing has been anemic.
Sometimes the best thing a writer can do is not write. Sometimes it is best to admit your heart is empty and it is time to replenish, renew, refresh.
Rest.
Slogging through physical, mental, emotional and spiritual exhaustion is a waste of time.
So I'm taking my advice and pulling over for a rest stop. Giving myself permission to not write for a few days.
Instead, I'll focus on resting and renewing and replenishing.
And after that, I'll be ready to write again.

1 comment:

Tea with Tiffany said...

Honest post. And much needed for many writers.

I hope and pray you are resting and getting refueled. Take as much time as you need.

And remember, we've got your back!