headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Books: Writing and Research Buddies

“When I first moved to NY and I was totally broke, sometimes I would buy Vogue instead of dinner. I just felt it fed me more.”—Carrie on Sex in the City

Like Carrie, I can relate to the value of a magazine or book re-filling my soul. My books are my buddies, available any hour day or night.

I collect archaic, renowned religious writers and am collecting the “All” series by Herbert Lockyer. I squealed with delight and scared my friend to death when I discovered at Goodwill Herbert Lockyer’s All the Teachings of Jesus. Cost? $1.50! Woody Allen’s stream of consciousness dialogue and narratives are so quotable, so I grab any Woody Allen movie at thrift stores or pawnshops.

Screamable Bargains
A few thrift store bargains include: Strong’s Concordance ($2.99), Christ and the Arts ($1) and the Readers’ Digest series of books on biblical topics for $2-$3 each, Andrew Lloyd Webber: His Life and Works ($1.99) and Soul of Africa: Magical Rites and Traditions ($1).

Never pass up an opportunity to scour for inexpensive resources to add to your personal library.

* Thrift stores are great places to find books for a dollar or two.
* Used bookstores also offer books that are less expensive than a Barnes and Noble merchant.
* Pawnshops sell videos and CDs available for $3-$5.
* Friends of the Library used book sales are the best opportunities to buy books on any topic. Because most people have little interest in theology, religion, or writing, these books are usually dirt cheap.
* Used books on www.amazon.com are the first place I go to find something I need. With gas at $3.00 a gallon, the $3.99 shipping fee is a bargain.

No comments:

Blog Archive