headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Friday, March 6, 2009

Staying on the Dark Side


(T-shirt found at thinkgeek.com)

So, here's the odd thing.

For years, I said I wasn't a fiction writer.

And then, last year I found myself one seriously burned out writer.

What did I do to relax?

I wrote fiction.

Some kind of crazy, I know.

I now belong to two critique groups. One focuses on non-fiction and one focuses on fiction.

Two weeks ago, I pitched a non-fiction book idea at a writers conference. Four publishers want to see my proposal. I am one grateful writer, considering the state of publishing right now.

Several writing friends encouraged me to quit my fiction group so I could focus my time on my non-fiction book proposal. Of course, their recommendation came after I'd lamented the pitiful amount of time I've had to work on my proposal.

Something has to give, right?

Well, I came to a decision today.

I do not want to give up my fiction group.

Sure, I have no plans to pitch my novel anytime soon. But this critique group is important to me. My crit partners are important to me. Critiquing their WIPs is important to me--and not just because I like wearing the "Evil Editor" t-shirt. I'm invested in their lives--their writing lives.

So, here I am. Exhausted. Straddling fiction and non-fiction. Still trying to figure out how to make it all happen.

Discovering that I'm gonna have to stop saying, "I don't write fiction."

Because it's looking more and more like I do.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

So can you say you're a bipolar writer?

Beth K. Vogt said...

I guess that's another way to put it ...

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have decided you are not "either or"....Often it is just a matter of seasons. So, just enjoy who and what you are right now. And get them proposals done, lady!

Beth K. Vogt said...

Getting the proposals done ... sometimes that is the greater challenge!